2010 Ford Taurus SHO | CarEnvy.ca

2010 Ford Taurus SHO

036_2010taurussho

Better late than never, I suppose. There have been so many new releases and interesting bits of news lately that the hottest new Ford in recent memory almost got lost in the mix. I knew this thing was supposed to be a sleeper, but still. Also, it was tougher than you’d think not to write a predictably cheesy title such as “It’s SHOtime” or some such nonsense, but I pulled it off.

So without further ado, CarEnvy presents the new 2010 Ford Taurus SHO boasting a twin-turbo V6, AWD, and a 6-speed flappy-paddle automatic gearbox. The BMW 535xi had better watch out.

More details and a huge gallery are after the jump.

2010_ford_taurus_sho_ecoboost_power-curve

If that’s not the flattest (photoshopped) torque curve you’ve ever seen, then I don’t know what is. Ford’s new 3.5L EcoBoost engine produces 365 hp and 350 torques at what appears to be 1500-5300 rpm. This power is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission that the driver can control manually with the paddles behind the steering wheel or using the console-mounted shifter. I think that the best part of the transmission is that it won’t automatically upshift for you when you’re bouncing it off the rev limiter. Yay! No electronic nannies to beep at you!

Another thing that draws me to the new SHO is the “sleeper factor”. It really doesn’t look any different than the standard Taurus other than the 19″ or 20″ wheels and a couple of miniscule badges. You expect a 535xi to be quick, but this will surprise a few performance cars in the Stop Light Grand Prix.

As a Canadian rally-racer-wannabe, there’s nothing better than forced induction and AWD. Both of which come in the Taurus SHO. Yes, I’d prefer a manual transmission, but I gotta cut Ford a little slack for being brave in a fairly frightening economic climate. I don’t see Super Sebrings or Mad Malibus from Chrysler or GM, so props to Ford. Although make sure to spec something other than the brown/black interior when ordering your SHO. It’s just unsightly.

Comfort, all-weather prowess, and ultimate sex sleeper appeal. Now that is something to envy.

[Autoblog, Jalopnik]

Tags:

9 Comments

1. Dodge Guy says:

I don’t know what SHO stands for, and I’m not sure if this car will be any good, but somehow when I heard SHO I immediately assumed it was an acronym similar to POS, perhaps not the best marketing minds at work here; )

• Peter says:

I pretty sure it’s Super High Output. And I don’t think SHO sounds too bad. At least it’s an acronym and not just complete alphanumeric nonsense like the German and Japanese luxury firms use. I mean, what does TSX mean?

2. Janaki says:

Totally Smokin’ Xylotronix?

3. Janaki says:

Re: Ford’s willingness to go balls-out with this: maybe that’s a reason why, of the “Big Three,” they’re the only ones not asking for money?

4. Stirling says:

“Super Sebring” is probably the single most terrifyingly abhorrent idea I have ever heard.

5. Joe says:

Have I slipped into a parallel universe?

A Turbo AWD Taurus?

And the Focus RS will remain FWD?

6. John says:

SHO Stands for Supreme High Output, and I will comment on the focus. For 1 it is super ugly, to it is a puddle jumper, and three, why would you care about the focus? Whine and complain, all you want, The SHO was the dominant 4 door Sports sedan of its class. The Price was a 3rd that you paid for against the cost of the Euro-sport sedans and yet you could park it beside the BMW 325i at your favorite Fine-Dining restaurant and and smile knowing that the SHO looked just as good and performed just as well for a 3rd of the price. If you have never heard of the SHO, than you don’t know what a fun low budget fun car, and probably better than you POS

7. VCD says:

The last time Ford came out with these types of vehicles there were two and it was in the 80s’. The SVO ( Special Vehicle Operations) a smaller engine and available in manual, it was unbelievable, they also came out with the SHO and it is still coveted by Ford lovers.
    This car is going to be awesome and it is quasi-green to boot. Good job Ford.

8. Fuel Tank says:

WOW! this is a very unique car from Ford. It is fuel efficient and adventurous as well. Hope that more and more cars like this will be released for a better and greener future.